Friday, September 08, 2006

Last Night

I watched "Kings Row" on DVD the other night and loved it. I think I had seen it once or twice before. Ronald Reagan was outstanding --- he hadn't developed the rather obvious mannerisms that plague his later work. Ann Sheridan was wonderful as well; I've grown to appreciate how good she could be. There's something very earthy and real about her. I'll admit the ending is a bit trite with a musical swell that's rather over the top but it's such an entertaining film that I have no problem with the rushed ending. I'm disappointed that Warners didn't see fit to include a commentary track --- it would've been great to hear how the film stands up to the book.

Stopped at Borders tonight to grab "Gojira" on DVD, as they have a pretty decent price on it this week, 14.99, but they were sold out. I've since read a couple withering reviews of the disc, really laying into the picture quality, so I'm not quite as sure that I need it now. Certainly, I can wait and order it online.

I've started in on the Halloween movies, watching 2 Hammer films so far, "Horror of Dracula" and "Night Creatures". I've always loved "Night Creatures" --- I'm a sucker for scarecrows, whether it's Ray Bolger or Patrick MacGoohan. I think I first saw the film on WPIX back in the mid to late 70's. It's one of the gems of the Hammer Collection that was released on DVD last September --- "Brides of Dracula" is tops but "Night Creatures" is probably a close second. As for "Horror of Dracula", I had forgotten how much this film differed from the generally accepted plotline. I enjoyed the film but I don't think it's as good as the first "sequel" (Brides), though Chris Lee is the best Dracula in my book and Peter Cushing makes everything he's in better; he had the kind of subtle charisma that Spencer Tracy had, the kind that compels you to watch the film whenever he's onscreen.

Well, it's off to bed for me. The Irish Fest begins tomorrow here in Syracuse, so don't expect another post until I dry out on Sunday. Or Monday. Cheers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home